Monday, May 29, 2017

Sewing with Novelty Fabrics!

I simply can't resist hunting for little novelty prints for Sasha clothes!  (that's what the quilters call prints that aren't floral, stripes, etc.) They are harder to find than you might think because they have to be both small enough that the scale is correct, plus the designs have to be close enough together for Sasha's tiny clothes.

It seems like I end up sewing a lot of my vintage fabric collection, but I like to break out of the mold and make more modern styles, too, as you can see below.

As always, these are examples of what can be made.  These are sold, but you can order similar items from me anytime. I have 100's of novelty prints, so I can likely make something that goes with your interests.
Not sure you can see the fun little bumblebee printed top!  

Lobsters and crabs  (but the friendly sort!)

Seahorses in pink

Peace signs on the skirt with a leather yoke.  The peace sign on the top was made with little jewels.
Matching shoes and socks

A set made to match the logo from the movie "The Fault in Our Stars."

Polka dots and stripes with added metallic stars on the shirt

Shamrock fabrics with black bias accents

I had fun drafting this wrap dress pattern and choosing the bindings and trims.
The flower trim is larger than "proper proportion" would call for, but I think it works!

And another....

casual tops and leggings.  I had fun with these prints by adding tiny iron-on jewels
in the center of the flowers, on the dots, etc.  

A candy print and anyone who knows me, knows I do love candy!

spaceships and little Martian people!  I love this print!

fish printed boy's pajamas

"pleather" skirt "hemmed" with eyelets.
Just experimenting but I like the way it turned out!

1 comment:

  1. I love the pleather skirt! I have made a couple of dresses, a basic dress and a maxi dress, for my doll using a tiny flower print. I like the novelty prints as they make you take a closer look :)

    ReplyDelete